Home Forums Blatant Self-Promotion (BSP): Your Book News & Announcements Fear in the French Quarter Submitted for Edgar Award!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Stephanie Osborn
      Participant

Twilight Times Books is pleased to announce that Fear in the French Quarter, SF mystery by Stephanie Osborn, was submitted for the 2017 Edgar Award in the category of Best Paperback/E-Book Original.

Fear in the French Quarter is book 6 of the Displaced Detective series. The series is a science fiction mystery saga in which the brilliant hyperspatial physicist, Dr. Skye Chadwick, discovers that there are alternate realities, and said alternates are often populated by those we consider only literary characters. Her pet research, Project: Tesseract, hidden deep under Schriever AFB, is her means of looking in on these continua. In one particular reality, continuum 114, a certain Victorian detective (who, in fact, exists in several continua) was to have died along with his arch-nemesis at the Reichenbach Falls. Knee-jerking, Skye intervenes, rescuing her hero Sherlock Holmes, who inadvertently flies through the tesseract wormhole connecting his universe with ours, while his enemy Professor James Moriarty plunges to his death. Unable to send Holmes back without causing devastating continuum collapse due to non-uniqueness, he must stay in our world and learn to adapt to the 21st century. Hijinks ensue, and the series has been aptly described as “Sherlock Holmes meets the X-Files,” as he and Chadwick take on modern spy rings, UFOs, mass spontaneous combustion, and more.

Osborn’s take on the series, in her own words, is “an attempt to see how far I could stretch Holmes without breaking him. I wanted to put him in a situation that would drive most men mad, and see what he would do. He definitely rose to the occasion.”

Fear in the French Quarter revolves around a jaunt by Sherlock Holmes — brought to the modern day from an alternate universe’s Victorian era by his continuum parallel, who is now his wife, Dr. Skye Chadwick- Holmes — to famed New Orleans for both business and pleasure. There, the detective couple investigates ghostly apparitions, strange disappearances, mystic phenomena, and challenge threats to the very universe they call home.

It was supposed to be a working holiday for Skye and Sherlock, along with their friend, the modern day version of Doctor Watson — some federal training that also gave them the chance to explore New Orleans, as the ghosts of the French Quarter become exponentially more active. When the couple uncovers an imminently catastrophic cause, whose epicenter lies squarely in the middle of Le Vieux Carré, they must race against time to stop it before the whole thing breaks wide open — and more than one universe is destroyed.

Jaden Terrell
      Keymaster

Congratulations, Stephanie! It sounds like a wonderful book.

Stephanie Osborn
      Participant

I’m very happy with how it turned out, yes!

Rick Reed
      Participant

Congratulations Stephanie! Wow! Good luck.

Stephanie Osborn
      Participant

Thanks, Rick! To be honest, I’m not holding my breath, but I’m thrilled my publisher thought it was good enough to submit!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar