Sisters in Crime & Mystery Writers of America
DECATUR BOOK FESTIVAL (DBF)
Labor Day Weekend September 1-3, 2017
What is the DBF?
The DBF is the largest independent book festival in the world. The 3-day event (Fri-Sun) annually draws more than 75,000 readers and 600 authors (all genres, fiction and nonfiction), including some of the biggest names in the business as headliners.
Festival booths and panel/stage appearances run Saturday from 10 am – 6 pm, Sunday from 12 pm – 6 pm. Participating authors will meet readers, writers, and sell books at the SinC booth. There are very limited opportunities for panels.
Friday and Saturday night group events will be organized for those interested in food and drink, socializing, networking, and just plain having fun!
NOTE: We are host one 30-minute author panel (2-3 authors) every hour inside our tent (30 minutes for selling books). It also provides our tent and panel schedule with DBF-level publicity. Registration will be limited to 30 authors for this format. Each author is guaranteed one tent panel appearance.
A $30, non-refundable registration fee is required
HOTELS: Hotel rooms book fast for the DBF, so reserve your room now. The Super 8 Motel (917 Church Street, Decatur), just 3 blocks from the DBF, is a good, inexpensive choice. Visit www.Super8.com and search for the Decatur GA (Church Street) location.
LOCAL SinC HOSTS: A limited number of local hosts/hostesses are available for those needing or wishing to stay with a SinC Atlanta member. Please note this on your registration, and we’ll do our best to match you up with a member. Locations and availability will vary!
Registration is open to active (2017 dues paid) members of SE Mystery Writers of America and these SinC chapters:
- SinC Atlanta ([email protected])
- Low Country SinC (Savannah, GA) ([email protected])
- Palmetto SinC ([email protected])
- Middle Tennessee SinC ([email protected])
- Upstate SC SinC (www.sincupstatesc.blogspot.com)
There is one SinC/MWA-sponsored stage panel. Moderator and panelists will be selected by a committee to reflect a broad swath of the authors and genres (theme will be generic, e.g., “Mystery, Murder, & Mayhem”) to attract the largest audience.
Other selection considerations:
- Balance of SinC with MWA authors
- Proven stage presence
- Contributions to their chapters
- Already appearing on stage at DBF
- Book published between September 2016 and September 2017 with copies available for the festival. These books must be available to the trade (bookstores) at a standard trade discount by the publisher, wholesaler, or author on a returnable basis.
- DBF Organizers have final approval on the selection of panel topic, authors and moderators.
DBF STAGE PRESENTATIONS: Visit the DBF website to submit your name for consideration for a DBF stage presentation and to learn more about the festival. www.DecaturBookFestival.com/present/author (May 1 deadline, but get your application in soon to best chance.)